- Bachelor of Science: Physics Major, Mathematics Minor, Bombay University, 1978.
- Master of Science: Physics, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 1980.
- PhD : Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay, 1985.
Thesis title : Space charge limited currents and photoconductivity in amorphous hydrogenated silicon (a-Si:H).
Award/Prize/Certificate etc. Won
- Maharashtra State Government Scholarship for Talent Development in Mathematics and Physics, 1975-78.
- II prize at Colloquium for Young Physicists, Indian Physical Society, Calcutta, 1985.
- Faculty, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras, from August 1991 till date.
- Visiting Faculty, School of Computer and Electrical Engineering, IIT Mandi, Jul-Dec 2017.
- Visiting Scientist at the Micromachined Products Division, Analog Devices, Cambridge, USA, October, 1999 to October, 2000.
- Faculty, Department of Physics, IIT, Kanpur, 1988 - 1991.
- Post-doctoral Fellow at Solar Energy Research Institute (now National Renewable Energy Laboratory), Golden, Colorado, USA, 1986-88.
- UG courses on Electromagnetic Fields, Semiconductor Devices, Device Modeling, Electrical Sciences II , Quantum Electronics and Lasers.
- PG Courses on Device Modeling, VLSI Technology, Solid State Physics.
- Introduced four new courses at M. Tech level:
- Characterization of Semiconductor Materials and Devices
- Amorphous and Poly-crystalline Silicon
- MicroElectroMechanical Systems (MEMS)
- Solar cells - with S. Ashok (visiting Prof.)
- Conducted UG and PG laboratories in both Physics and Electrical Engineering Departments.
- Six week course on Solid State Devices for the engineering staff at the Micromachined Products Division, Analog Devices, Cambridge, USA, August, 2000.
- Five day Short Term Course on MicroElectroMechanical Systems (MEMS) under the Continuing Education Programme for participants from Industry, Research Laboratories and Colleges, 2-7 January, 2003. The course included class room lectures, computer based design tutorials and laboratory hours. Co-coordinator Nandita DasGupta.
- Tutorial on Biosensors at the International Conference on Intelligent Sensing and Information Processing, Chennai, 4-7 January, 2004. Jointly with Dr. Anju Chadha, Department of Chemistry, IIT Madras.
- Five day Short Term Course on Photovoltaics under the Continuing Education Programme for participants from Research Centre, July- Aug, 2009.Co-coordinator Nandita DasGupta.
Administrative and organizational experience
- Additional Director (non-executive), SPEL Semiconductor Ltd, Chennai, 2014 -
- Additional Director (non-executive), Chiptest Engineering Ltd, Chennai, 2012 -
- Member, Board of Governors, NIT, Puducherry, 2012 - 2015
- Head, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras, 2010 - 2013.
- Chair, Complaint Committee on sexual harassment, 2007-2011.
- President, Film Club of IIT Madras, 2007-2010.
- Member, Institute Environment Committee, 2007-2009.
- Member, Institute Grievance committee, 1996-1997.
- Member, Strategic Planning committee, 1996.
- Warden,Sarayu Hostel, 1992-1995.
- Member Technical committee IEEE Sensors 2019. Track Co-chair Optical Sensors
- Member Technical committee IEEE Sensors 2018. Track Co-chair Optical Sensors Co-chair: Women's Leadership Forum, IEEE Sensors 2018, New Delhi, India, October 28 to 31, 2018
- Co-chair, International workshop on Micro/Nano 2D-3D Fabrication, Manufacturing of Electronic -Biomedical Devices and Application, IIT Mandi, 31st Oct to 2nd Nov, 2018
- Chair with A. DasGupta, International Conference on MEMS and Sensors (ICMEMSS 2014), Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, December 18-20, 2014
- Chair of the Theme Symposium on Nanomaterials: Devices and Applications, International Union of Materials Research Societies-International Conference in Asia (IUMRS-ICA 2013), Bangalore, December 16-20, 2013
- International Workshop on the Physics of Semiconductor Devices,IWPSD-2003, IIT Madras. Joint Secretary, Member- Steering Committee.Technical Co-chair â€“ Programme on Sensors and MEMS: IWPSD-2003, 2007, 2009. Member- Steering Committee, 2013
- Member: International Advisory Committee of Porous Semiconductors Science and Technology, PSST-2010, Spain
- Member of Programme Committee of SPIE's Photonics West, Micromachining and Microfabrication Symposium - Reliability, Packaging, Testing, and Characterization of MEMS/MOEMS, San Jose, 2007, 2008, 2009 and San Francisco, 2010.
- Technical Chair, International Conference on MEMS, ICMEMS 2009, IIT Madras, 3-5 Jan, 2009.
- Member, Editorial Board of the J. of the Indian Society for Smart Structures
Membership of Societies
- Life member, Semiconductor Society of India
- Life member, Indian Society for Smart Structures
- Life Member, TIFR Alumni Association
- Member, SPIE
- Member, IEEE