Prof K. Ramesh joined IIT Madras in 2000 and currently a Senior Professor at the Department of Applied Mechanics, IIT Madras; as its Chairman during (2005-2009) and formerly a Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kanpur. He received his undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Regional Engineering College, Trichy (1982), Postgraduate degree from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (1984) and the Doctoral Degree from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (1988).
- Computer Applications in Experimental Mechanics
- Digital Photoelasticity
- Fracture Mechanics
- Composite Materials
- Educational Technology
Selected Awards and Honours
- Received the 2012 Zandman Award of Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM) for Outstanding contributions in the Application of Photoelastic Coatings.https://sem.org/zandman-award/
- Distinguished Alumnus Award for Academic Excellence, National Institute of Technology, Trichy, 2008.
- Elected Fellow of The Indian National Academy of Engineering, 2006.
- Received the President of India Cash Prize, 1984
- Contributed a paper through invitation in the Golden Jubilee issue of the Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 2015.
- Guest edited a Special Section on Digital Photoelasticity : Advancements and Applications, 2015, in SPIE Journal of Optical Engineering.http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.54.8.081201
- Contributed a chapter on Photoelasticity by invitation in the Springer Handbook of Experimental Solid Mechanics (2009) Published by SEM and Springer, Edited by W. N. Sharpe, Department of Mechanical Engineering, John Hopkins University, USA.
- Guest edited a Special Issue of Optics and Lasers in Engineering on Digital Photoelasticity, 38 (1-2): 1-2 JUL-AUG 2002
- Member of the Editorial Boards of the International Journals: Strain (since 2001), Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design (2009-10), Optics and Lasers in Engineering, and Steering committee member of Asian Society for Experimental Mechanics since its inception in 2000